Records of the Deerfield Woman’s Club, 1925-1991

Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association Library
Memorial Street, Deerfield, MA

Scope and Content Note:
Organized in January 1925, the Deerfield Woman’s Club functioned as a social and community service organization. Meetings consisted of the exchange of practical information on menus, floral arrangements, gardening, and fashion, and the Club’s
activities included lectures, plays, field trips, and fund-raising events such as an annual
community bazaar. The Club made financial donations to numerous local and national
organizations such as the Dickinson Library (the village’s public library), the Veterans
Hospital in Leeds, MA, Deerfield Academy memorial fund, Boy’s Town, and CARE, an
international humanitarian organization. A scholarship fund was also begun in the 1970s.
Club meetings were held in the “ball room” of the Frary House (i.e., Barnard Tavern
assembly hall), Deerfield’s Village Room, the Deerfield Community Center (the former
Orthodox Congregational Church), and various locations at Deerfield Academy.
The Deerfield Woman’s Club records consist of meeting minutes, yearbooks, newsletters,
scrapbooks, invitations, correspondence, treasurer’s reports, and related documents –
many of which have been mounted on pages of the record books. An earlier, short-lived
Woman’s Club, organized in March 1870, is represented in the collection by a small record
book outlining the Club’s Constitution, a list of members, and minutes of the first four
meetings, the last occurring in April 1871. At the end of the record book appears the
Deerfield Society for Rural Improvement, recording their constitution, original list of
members, and minutes of their first two meetings (April 1855; April 1857).

Container List:
Box 1:
Minutes, 1925-1931; 1941-1949 (bound volumes)
“Recording Secretary’s Book,” 1949-1960 (binder)
Members list (undated bound vol.)
Record book, 1870-1871 (bound volume)

Box 2:
Folder 1: Constitution and Bylaws
Folder 2: Correspondence, 1968-1991
Folder 3: Newsletters, 1950-1966 (incomplete)
Folder 4: Newsletters, 1969-1990 (incomplete)
Folder 5: “Recording Secretary’s Book,” 1961-1968 (removed from binder)
Folder 6: Materials on the documenting of Albany Rd. Burying Ground markers
Folder 7: Miscellaneous (invitations, annual reports, telephone lists, clippings, etc.)

Box 3:
Record book, 1971-1990 (binder)
Disbound scrapbook, 1950s
Yearbooks, 1926-1988 (incomplete)

Box 4:
Scrapbooks, 1946-50; 1960s-1970s (2 volumes)

Advertisements